I am Nikheel Aphale
a calligrapher and graphic designer with an independent practice in Bangalore, India. An alumnus of the National Institute of Design (NID), I started my journey as a calligrapher after quitting a full-time job in a branding studio, Codesign. Since then I had many opportunities to explore a wide spectrum of calligraphy through commercial work, art, exhibitions, workshops, products, etc. I have a graphic design practice called Studio Em & En with Maithili
Aside from playing with letters, I enjoy playing and creating art with my 8 years old daughter. I keep finding opportunities to travel to declutter my mind and get inspired. If that’s not possible then planning and reading about places makesme happy.
Do write to me if you like to discuss an art or design commission. I am happy to collaborate with any disciplines (stationery, textiles, ceramics, interior) or anything that is inspiring and gives an opportunity to experiment. Ideas are welcomed on
• My calligraphy work, journey, and love for Devanagari have been featured in various magazines, websites, blogs and I was also a speaker at TEDx.
• I was invited to represent India and participate in the World Calligraphy Biennale of Jeollabuk-do, South Korea in 2015, 2017 & 2019.
• Some of my calligraphy works were published in annual juried issues of prestigious & internationally acclaimed calligraphy magazine, Letter Arts Review, USA (2010, 2011 & 2016).
• Shortlisted to exhibit for ‘20 Under 35’—where the work of 20 emerging designers was showcased at the DesignXDesign event at the Alliance Francaise, Delhi.
• Recipient of the Gold Award for outstanding work in Calligraphy (Callihunt 2016); organized by Achyut Palav School of Calligraphy.
• I have been invited to participate in residencies and group shows in India & abroad and asked to conduct workshops in many schools and colleges – Strate, BHU, Srishti, MICA, NIFT, Ashoka University.
Interviews, articles and work featured on: