I am Nikheel Aphale (1979), born and raised in Mumbai, India, a historically and culturally rich country with striking diversity in nature, art, music, food, languages, etc. I have been practicing calligraphy for the past 15 years; though I am predominantly focusing on the Devanagri script.
• Undergraduate degree in Applied Arts (Bachelor in Fine Arts), L S Raheja School of Arts, Mumbai, 1995-2000
• Post-graduate diploma in Visual Communication; specialization in Graphic Design, National Institute of Design (NID), Ahmedabad, 2003-06
• One-week residential course on advance calligraphy by master calligraphy Brody Neuenschwander, Brugge, Belgium, 2015
• Me, You and the World, group show, Artisera, 2020
• Sacred Strokes, solo show, Artisera, 2020
• 16th Cheongju Jikji World Calligraphy Exhibition, South Korea, 2019, 2021.
• Auroville Art Residency, Auroville, India, 2019
• The World Calligraphy Biennale, Jeollabuk – South Korea, 2015, 2017, and 2019
• Zones of Privacy, books, sketchbooks as a work of art, Chatterjee & Lal, Mumbai, India, 2016
• Fibre Fables, collaborative art show between eleven artists and the weavers of Raj Group, Panipat, The Stainless Gallery, Delhi, India, 2015
• Calligraphy tells the beauty, an exhibition of calligraphy works by Korean and Indian artists, Korean Cultural Centre, Delhi, India, 2014
• One Asia Project III, Taipei, Taiwan, 2014
• One Asia Project II, international calligraphy exhibition, India International Center (IIC), Delhi, 2012
Features and accolades:
• Typism 7 & 8
• A speaker at TEDx Shiv Nadar University, 2017
• Prestigious blue elephant at Kyoorius Design Award for ‘Harper Perennial Series’ under ‘Design for Books’ category, 2018
• Annual juried issues of prestigious & internationally acclaimed calligraphy magazine, Letter Arts Review, USA, 2010, 2011 & 2016
• Shortlisted to exhibit for ‘20 Under 35’—where the work of 20 emerging designers was showcased at the DesignXDesign event at the Alliance Francaise, Delhi.
• Gold Award for outstanding work in Calligraphy (Callihunt 2016); organized by Achyut Palav School of Calligraphy.
• Work, interviews have been featured in Vogue, Platform, NDTV (TV Channel), Kyoorius, POOL, Desi Creative, and many blogs, and websites.
Workshops and teaching:
• Srishti school of art and design, Bangalore
• National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Bangalore, Panchkula
• Strate School of Design, Bangalore
• Ashoka University, Sonipat, Haryana
• SASI Creative Institute of Design, Coimbatore
• The Valley School, Bangalore
• Mudra Institute of Communications, Ahmedabad (MICA)
• Kalakshar (design festival), Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Varanasi
• Ka Cha Ta Tha Pa (calligraphy festival), Kerala
• AccionLabs, India
• Frog Design, India
• Philips Design, India